Hygiene is not on the SEICUS guidelines for what to teach in a human sexuality class, but we find that it can be a hard topic for students. It also is strongly connected to puberty because it is during puberty that hygiene needs change at the same time young people have more autonomy and responsibility for their hygiene. We tackled hygiene with a series of activities we called hygiene Olympics. In small groups, students moved throughout the stations to practice and contemplate hygiene tasks.
- Hand washing: Students rubbed glitter mixed with lotion on their hands and then had to wash their hands until the glitter came off. This will helped students to recognize that hand washing is more than just rinsing hands lightly with water.
- Body washing: We will had life-size body outlines, loofas, and paint. Students used the paint like it was soap. This helped students recognize the importance of washing their entire body.
- Laundry: Students saw a pile of laundry. They then sorted the clean from the dirty clothing (the dirty clothing are just tee shirts that have been dampened and wrinkled). The helped students identify clean clothing.
- Shaving: Students used an orange to practice shaving with a razor and shaving cream. The teacher in the group explained that boys often shave their face and that girls often shave their legs and underarms. Students had an opportunity to practice shaving.
- Deodorant testing: We had several deodorants with the brands blocked out. Students smelled and voted on their favorite scent. At this station, teachers pointed out the importance of wearing deodorant each day and reapplying after activities that cause sweat. This station emphasized the importance of deodorant use.
- My Hygiene Routine: Students saw pictures of different hygiene tasks. They also had a worksheet that said “My Hygiene Routine.” Students chose what order they would prefer to complete the hygiene tasks. This activity provided students with control and choice while also committing them to completing the necessary tasks.
Materials for this week